ADVERTISEMENT

BUTTE'S Florida FIVE

Jun 30, 2010
Quietly this summer, Butte College has landed five (2 highly recruited) athletes from Miami,Fla. CB Darryl Williams class '09 Miami Palmetto Sr.High-- left D1A WesternKentucky(WKU) after academic woes to head to Butte.Williams originally committed to The Univ of Central Fla,but changed his mind to attend WKU after a 'real nice visit'.Darryl is ready to prove his 4-Star ranking is no fluke as he hopes to play both CB and WR.Here in Miami,we call him "Hands" 'cause he doesn't drop balls!Don't sleep on Williams--he's the REAL DEAL--ask coach Taggart at WKU.."it was very disappointing to release Williams.
On the other side of the ball--defensively is LB Jamal Robinson,class of '09 Miami Killian Sr high.Robinson left Univ of Charleston in WV after self-created problems.He has already enrolled at Butte for the summer and says he's put his past behind him and he's ready to prove he's matured off the field as well as on.Robinson was recruited by Delaware,TCU,ULM,Hampton and NCCU--but had low ACT test scores.He's excited about playing for BUTTE and ready for the season to start.He led Dade County '09 in interceptions,second in Dade County in tackles.He vows to be apart of Butte winning another title.
The other three are great talents also.RB Jeremy Williams class '10 is the little brother of Darryl.Jeremy help lead Miami Palmetto sr high to the second round of playoffs in 09 as the coveted JamaalBerry of TheOhioState sat sideline nursing a minor injury.Jeremy is a hard runner,tremendous footwork--QUICK FEET and great at middle screens.A real student of the game...He doesn't have 4.3 speed--which is Soooo overrated,but he Will take it to the house and knock you over in the process.
DB Kendrick Daye '09 Miami Palmetto had the game of his life in 2009 vs Miami Southridge (23 TACKLES).He just finished at JIREH Prep and heads to Butte.
RB Edwin Roberts '10(MiamiPalmetto) is a true freshman who can straight up run the pill!!!Rank Butte where you want to...all they've done is QUIETLY RELOAD.
This post was edited on 7/13 11:00 AM by Gridiron-Robinson

Thanks Robinson. If you have any phone numbers for these studs e-mail them to me at brad@jcgridiron.com

Originally posted by calibacker:
Maybe this is why The Sporting News ranked Butte #1 in California.
I doubt it. They shoot blanks into the air every year and have very little information on their desk. They only do preseason rankings to look as if they cover every level of football. Butte may end up being good, but I highly doubt anyone over at the Sporting News could tell you why. A few seasons ago they had Butte rated very high and had players mentioned in their article as preseason All Americans that ended up not even being on the roster.

In terms of JUCO rankings, there is only two organizations to listen to...JCGridiron and our main competitor on the other network. Personally, I prefer ours. I put a lot of time and effort into our rankings, and try to keep any biases out of it. At the end of the day, our rankings will stack up against any of them.
This post was edited on 7/13 1:21 PM by BradHoiseth

Very true. You do a great job here. TSN has a decent spread on JC football in their annual magazine.

I haven't seen their top 25 yet, but their Top 10 is supposedly heavily weighted toward the NJCAA. Most rational people that follow JUCO football would disagree with that, but it's understandable if those are the only programs they get to see.

Originally posted by GridironAssistant:
I haven't seen their top 25 yet, but their Top 10 is supposedly heavily weighted toward the NJCAA. Most rational people that follow JUCO football would disagree with that, but it's understandable if those are the only programs they get to see.
The two governing bodies are very different and the rules change in the NJCAA from conference-to-conference. I have always found the really good NJCAA programs to have great starting lineups, but not as much depth as the California schools, which have unlimited rosters and often times have over 125 kids out for football during the summer (last season Fullerton had near 175). The programs in Kansas, Texas and Mississippi get a lot of bounce back kids that are being (hidden) by DI programs. They didn't have the grades to make it through the clearinghouse and so they are placed at a particular junior college for two years, with the understanding that the program will not spread the word that they are there. Certain states will offer a certain amount of scholarships to out-of-state kids. California has no scholarships whatsoever, but gets a lot more traffic due to the proximity of the schools. Midwest programs (in general) do not throw the ball much whereas most of the successful West Coast programs are very wide open and diverse on offense.
This post was edited on 7/14 9:19 PM by BradHoiseth

Do the bigger Cali JC's make cuts after the summer or do they just redshirt players and count on natural attrition?

Originally posted by calibacker:
Do the bigger Cali JC's make cuts after the summer or do they just redshirt players and count on natural attrition?
Each program is different. Some do. Some don't.

I know College of Canyons straight up will cut yo butt AND make you go thru try outs.(sorry Shawn,they sent choo home)Fullerton gives EVERYONE opportunity to wear uniform.I didn't say play ball--but wear da uniform...Then there's that Mississippi rule of only 8 out of state players on roster--check me on that...It's about as mind-boggling as DII playoff selections--forget your wins and losses--it's about who the conference 'big wigs' want.They even have a 'sympathy' seed slot--go figure

ADVERTISEMENT